New to the magical world of juicing and want to find out more information? Read our Q & A below to learn about the many reasons people take part in a juice cleanse and the health benefits that come along with it.
- WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF DOING A JUICE CLEANSE?
- The health benefits to cold-pressed juice cleanses really are endless. In our everyday lives, we consume so many harmful toxins that go straight to the stomach and usually never find a way out. These toxins can then manifest in the form of ailments and illnesses. People who cleanse often experience:
- More energy
- Weight loss
- Improved skin tone
- Mental clarity
- Liver and kidney detoxification
- Fewer stomach problems
- Improved sleep
The list really is endless. One thing we hear a lot is that people feel better about themselves and generally happier. It’s a thrilling transformation to watch.
- HOW LONG SHOULD I DO A JUICE CLEANSE FOR?
- We recommend doing a juice cleanse for 3-7 days for optimum results and allow your body to reboot itself during this period. Some people, however, decide to cleanse 1 day every two weeks, or find other ways to include cleansing into their lifestyles such as the 5:2 diet. It’s an individual experience and people start to know their own bodies and what works for them.
- DOESN’T FRUIT JUICE HAVE A LOT OF SUGAR? IS THAT HEALTHY?
- A. Fruit juice does have natural sugars, however, the cleanses that we offer are predominantly vegetable-based and have a lot less sugar. Our flavored juices are based on greens such as kale, spinach, celery and romaine.
Our juices are also cold-pressed and not made from concentrate, which further separate them from the typical over-sugared fruit juice. The nutritional content of what you are consuming on a juice cleanse is extremely high. It would not be a great thing to continue drinking only juice for months on end, of course, but people consume a lot more UNNATURAL sugars in their daily diets as it is. We can assure you that the sugar in our juice cleanse is not going to harm you.
- HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR A JUICE CLEANSE?
- A cleanse is essentially starving the body of processed food and then treating with a high volume of nutrients and minerals. This change in routine can come as quite a shock to the body, therefore you want to prepare your body for such a drastic change.
We recommend that at least three days before a cleanse, you should stick to a (mostly) plant-based diet, high in fruits and vegetables. This means your regime should be void on any processed foods, sugar, dairy or caffeine If you must have animal products, make sure they are organic. An example of a days food would be, fruit for breakfast with herbal tea, salad for lunch with lots of veggies, olive oil and lemon, steamed veggies for dinner with a piece of wild salmon.
- WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO FEEL THE BENEFITS OF A JUICE CLEANSE?
- A. Most people begin to feel the benefits by day 3 of a cleanse, but sometimes it takes longer. When they do begin to feel the benefits, they tend to last for a long time, given that the person eats very clean after the cleanse is over.
- IS GOING ON A JUICE CLEANSE DIFFICULT? ARE THERE ANY THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR?
- Cleansing is not always easy, however it’s the first time that is the hardest. This also depends on how clean and healthy your body is to begin with. If a person normally eats a great deal of processed foods and caffeinated beverages, it is going to be a lot harder than it will be for a person who eats mostly whole foods and limits toxic ingredients. There are, however, natural symptoms of cleansing such as grogginess or fatigue that are actually GOOD, and mean that the toxins are working their way out of your system. Some of these symptoms include fatigue and headaches. Usually by the third day, the symptoms go away, but if someone is having a really deep detox, they may last a bit longer.
- ARE THERE PEOPLE WHO SHOULDN’T GO ON A JUICE CLEANSE?
- People with weakened immune systems and pregnant women should not cleanse. If you have any hesitation on whether to undertake a juice cleanse, please contact your GP.
- WHAT IF YOU GET HUNGRY WHILE ON A CLEANSE?
- We always find that most people cannot even finish their juices by the end of the day! What’s amazing is that your body is often getting fed MORE nutritiously than it was prior to the cleanse, but the vitamins and nutrients are going straight into the bloodstream and not into the stomach like we are used to. We do know that some people who are used to consuming food get that urge to snack on something and fill their bellies. In these cases, we recommend slices of cucumber or avocado, and homemade vegetable broth.
- WHY DON’T YOU EAT SOLID FOOD ON A CLEANSE?
- A. The point of a cleanse is to give your digestive system a break from the intense work it does on a daily basis. It would be counter-productive to consume solid food on a juice cleanse, as it takes this very work to metabolise the food and break it down.
- HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CLEANSE?
- A. It is completely up to individual how often they cleanse. If you are a beginner, it is a recommended to see how well you do on your first cleanse and then decide how often your body may need.
The majority of people who take part in cleanses tend to do a 3-day cleanse every 3 months or so. Others may choose to do a one day cleanse every two weeks or a 7-day cleanse every 6 months.
What’s so great about cleansing is that it can be tailored to every individual!
- HOW SHOULD I RE-INCORPORATE SOLID FOOD AFTER A CLEANSE?
- After completing a cleanse, it is important to eat as clean as possible. No processed foods, sugar, caffeine, or alcohol. Fruits and vegetables should make up the bulk of the day’s food for at least the first couple of days. After that it is okay to reintroduce whole grains and organic fish or meat.
You’ll find that once a cleanse is over, your body will not crave the unhealthy foods you were consuming before, setting you on a path of maintaining a healthy lifestyle
If you have any other queries about juicing or general healthy eating, feel free to email us on [email protected]